Hi, everyone. I am going to share some kitchen tips today. You always seem to run into a situation in the kitchen that no book really handles, so here is a short list of things to help you out! It's just a little bit of useful information.
1. Grinding or Chopping Sticky Fruits - If you use a food processor, heat the blades thoroughly in boiling water before using, or use a heated knife or scissors. By heating the cutlery, the fruits will not stick to the blades.
2. Souring Milk - Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk and heat for 1-2 minutes, or till the milk begins to curdle.
3. Colored Sugar - Place the white granulated sugar (preferably coarse) on waxed paper. Add the food coloring a drop at a time. Work the color into the sugar with the tips of your fingers until evenly distributed.
4. Seasoned Flour - Add 1-2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper to each cup of flour and mix thoroughly.
5. Cooking Eggs in Shell - Do not place the eggs into boiling water since this will cause the eggs to be tough and leathery. You want to place the eggs in cold water and heat the water slowly to boiling.
6. Scalding Milk - To keep the milk from scorching, rinse the pan with hot water before using.
7. Keeping Lemons Fresh - Place them in a glass jar, fill with water and cover tightly.
8. Baking Apples - To keep the skin from wrinkling, slit in a few places before baking.
9. Cut Fruits - Sprinkle with lemon or pineapple juice to keep the fruit from discoloring.
10. Cooking Macaroni or Spaghetti Noodles - Add 1 Tablespoon of cooking oil or shortening to prevent "boil overs."
These are just a few different tricks to use in the kitchen. We'll continue to post new techniques in future posts, so be sure to keep in touch! Check back with us on Friday, when we will have our Recipe of the Week!