|Cinnamon Pear Jam|
5 Cups - Chopped Pears
2 1/2 Cups - Sugar
2 TB - Fruit Pectin
1 TB - Lemon Juice
1 TB - Ground Cinnamon
Makes about 6 half pints.
1. Make sure to wash your pears and finely chop them, or you can use a food processor. At this time, you can also get the water and canning jars ready since they will need to bathe in boiling water for 20 minutes.
2. Place the pears into a large pan and heat on medium until they begin to boil.
3. Add the lemon juice, pectin, cinnamon and gradually stir in the sugar. Boil for another 20 minutes, or until the jam begins to congeal. You can check by using the spoon test. Stick a spoon into the jam and then lift it out. The jam should mostly stick to the spoon and slowly run off.
4. Remove any foam from the top of the jam, then pour into hot sterilized jars. Wipe the rims of the jars to make sure they are clean from any jam droppings, place on the lids and lightly screw on the rings (you will tighten them after the final bath). Place back into the hot boiling water for another 20 minutes.
5. Remove the jars and place them on a wire rack or on a surface that can withstand the hot jars. Be sure to allow a few inches of space between the jars and let them sit for 12-24 hours for the jam to set and the lids to seal with a "pop."
Have a great weekend and check back with us on Sunday, when we will let you know what events/festivals are happening around Tennessee for the next weekend. If you missed this weekend's list, you can find the post on our blog from this past Sunday, August 17, 2014!