9 Cups - Chopped Plums (pit removed)
8 Cups - Sugar
7 TB - Fruit Pectin
2 TB - Lemon Juice
Makes 6 pints or 12 - 8oz jars.
1. Make sure to wash your plums and remove the pits. No need to discard the skins. At this time you can also get the canning jars ready. They will need to be placed into hot boiling water for 20 minutes, so you may need to get the water started while you prepare the jam.
2. Place the plums into a large pan and boil on medium high for 20 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice and pectin.
4. Gradually stir in the sugar and boil for another 20 minutes, or until the jam begins to congeal. You can check by using the spoon test. Stick a spoon into the jam and then lift it out. The jam should mostly stick to the spoon and slowly run off.
5. Remove any foam from the top of the jam, then pour into hot sterilized jars. Wipe the rims of the jars to make sure they are clean from any jam droppings, place on the lids and lightly screw on the rings (you will tighten them after the final bath). Place back into the hot boiling water for another 20 minutes.
6. Remove the jars and place them on a wire rack or on a surface that can withstand the hot jars. Be sure to allow a few inches of space between the jars and let them sit for 12-24 hours for the jam to set and the lids to seal with a "pop."