|Sausage and Pepperoni Calzone|
I have a real simple recipe this week. You can break these up into snack bites or make them into a large overstuffed meal. The hardest part is just preparing the crust or pouch, and it's not really that hard. You can keep it real simple and use uncooked frozen dinner rolls, Pilsbury's canned rolls or package pizza crust. If you really want do it all yourself, then make your own crust by using yeast packages specific to pizza crust.
Pizza Crust (options noted above)
1/2 lb Sausage
1 Small Chopped Onion
8oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 egg whisked
Recipe makes 4 large calzones. I make my own using a yeast packet specific for pizza crust. Just follow the package instructions.
1. Brown the sausage in a pan along with the chopped onion. You do not need to cook the pepperoni.
2. Roll out your pizza crust into 8 inch diameter circles, or smaller for bite size.
3. On half of the dough, place the pizza sauce followed by the sausage and onion, pepperoni, shredded mozzarella cheese, sprinkle some parmesan and top off with a little more sauce.
4. Pull over the other half of the dough over the filling and pinch closed. You will now have a half circle shaped calzone. Repeat until filling is completely used. For a nice golden brown crust, you will then brush each calzone with the whisked egg.
5. Place the calzones on a greased baking sheet and bat for 30 minutes in a 375 degrees F oven.
Enjoy! Have a great weekend and check back with us on Sunday, when we will let you know what events/festivals are happening around Tennessee for the next weekend. If you missed this weekend's list, you can find the post on our blog from this past Sunday, June 22, 2014!