When the weather turns colder, there is nothing more comforting than a warm drink by the heater or fireplace. So, here are 3 of my tried and true favorites....enjoy!
Hot Chocolate (REALly)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cold milk
- Optional: 1 tsp flavored extract, whipped cream for garnish
- In large saucepan, heat the first 3 ingredients until piping hot but just under a boil, STIRRING CONSTANTLY to prevent scorching.
- If desired, add 1 teaspoon of mint, raspberry, vanilla or orange extract in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 1/2 gallon fresh apple cider
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- cheesecloth and butcher's twine (available in most supermarkets)
- In large pot, add the cider.
- Take cheesecloth and place all spices in the center, gathering the edges to form a packet and tying with kitchen twine.
- Place the spice packet in the pot and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Old Fashioned Milk Punch
- 2 cups 10 year aged whiskey (I love Jameson's)
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mace or allspice (both are the same seasoning)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine all ingredients except the whiskey in a large pot.
- Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and add the whiskey.
- Simmer another 5 minutes before removing from stovetop.