Pasta Salad with Style AND Substance
First of all, let me say this is NOT your mother’s pasta salad. You will not find Italian dressing or mayonnaise or canned tuna anywhere near this!
Why? Because pasta salad should not sit in your belly like a lead balloon after you eat it. It should be satisfying, cool and have a nicely rounded flavor profile.
The base of our salad is Greek plain yogurt, to which I add fresh veggies, salsa and the pasta and chicken. The whole thing assembles inside of 10 minutes and is a perfect use for that leftover BBQ from the fourth! Enjoy!
Too Wong Foo’s Pasta Salad (source: Lydia Dittrich)
- 1 pound radiatore pasta
- 2 pre-cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Boil the water for your pasta in a large stock pot.
- While waiting for the water to come to temperature, dice the chicken and vegetables. Add them to the salsa and yogurt; mix well.
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions.
- Drain into a colander and immediately rinse the pasta with cold water.
- Fold the pasta into the veggies and chicken, and refrigerate for 1 hour.